7 Best Transcription Software of 2022 (Speech to Text Tools)
arrangement software helps you mechanically convert sound recording and television files into electronic textbook .
And you can create transcripts for a short ton of on-line subject – podcasts, videos, on-line courses, or even meetings and conferences .
Most of these transcription tools trust on artificial intelligence technologies like machine determine and natural speech processing to transcribe audio to text.
The trouble is, with so many options, it ’ sulfur crafty to choose the right recording software to go with .
That’s why in this guide, I ranked and reviewed the best transcription software to use based on accuracy, timbre, pricing, features, and more .
Let ’ s get to the list .
What is the Best Transcription Software?
here are my top picks for the best transcription software on the grocery store .
Best overall transcription software ($1.25 per minute).
Rev.com is an audio or video to text service with a pool of vet professional transcriptionists, captioners, and translators .
They help you turn your recordings into written text that you can edit, save and export into many different formats. This arrangement works in tandem with built-in AI tools to ensure error detection for accuracy .
Here’s how it works:
- You’ll upload your audio or video file from your system, or you can even copy-paste the web URL.
- One of their professionals (from a total pool of over 60,000) will transcribe your file for you. They provide a 100% guarantee of over 99% accuracy.
- Finally, you’ll receive your transcripts as an editable document. You can also view and edit the document using Rev’s built-in editing tools.
Their standard delivery prison term is 12 hours for most files, less than 30 minutes. They besides provide rush pitch in about four hours ( again, for files < 30 minutes ) . They can evening handle audios with background noise, multiple speakers, and diverse accents. however, note that they entirely work with English audios . Rev.com besides lets you automate uploads with their API or consolidation with Zapier and other television platforms . additionally, you can besides apply for automated transcriptions if you ’ re in a hurry and want to receive files within five minutes. It works using the concept of address recognition, and there ’ s no human intervention . Rev besides falls into the closed caption software category but it actually does a bunch more than that which is why it is my acme recommendation for arrangement software . Other features include:
- English captions and subtitles.
- The ability to subtitle your video files in over eight languages.
- Adds real-time captions to Zoom webinars and meetings.
- A built-in voice recorder.
- Free audio trimmer and cutter.
- Transparent pricing structure.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Integration with Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Free iPhone call recorder.
- A pool of native English-speaking experts to transcribe your files.
Rev provides tons of services with a diaphanous pricing social organization .
Here are the services (along with their cost):
- Transcription – $1.25 per minute
- Machine-generated rought draft – 25 cents per minute
- English captions – $1.25 per minute
- Foreign subtitles – $3-7 per minute
Rev besides enables direct transcription for an extra $ 0.25 per audio minute. It even captures syllables like “ Um ” from the sound recording file .
Best for Professional Transcriptionists
Transcribe is a privacy-focused transcription instrument that ’ s suitable for converting audio files to text automatically. Whether you ’ ra listen to podcasts, music, or even an official merging, it can save prison term ampere well as money and increase productiveness levels .
Transcribe comes complete with a specialize sound recording actor that helps to decode audio. It provides foot pedal point support, along with excellent slow-motion performance. The software comes with a dedicate assistant file that explains all its features .
This avail is desirable for professionals who want a clean and private way of transcribing audio. I like the handy keyboard shortcuts that serve to perform tasks such as inserting timestamps .
Coming to the features, Transcribe allows you to create subtitles for videos and export transcripts in the form of WebVTT or SRT files. These can then be used for captioning videos on social media platforms such as YouTube or Vimeo .
The following is a list of some essential features of Transcribe:
- Automatic text expander for acronyms
- Easy conversion from speech to text
- Manual transcription facilities such as foot pedal integration
- Automatic audio pause and resume
- Easy to use browser-based interface
- Works without an internet connection
- Completely secure and private
Transcript ’ s pricing plans are absolutely simple. It has only two tiers : one for self-transcription and the other for automatic recording. The follow is a brief overview of each design, along with the annually price .
1. Self-Transcription at $20/year
- Media player with integrated editor
- Unlimited dictation
- Automatic text expansion
- Manual transcription aids such as foot pedal integration and playback loops
2. Automatic Transcription at $20/year + $6/hour of audio
- All facilities of the self-transcription plan
- Machine learning-based automatic transcription
- Video subtitle creation features
- Speaker identification with automatic timecodes
All plans are renewable annual. however, the service doesn ’ t leave auto-renewal, so you ’ ll have to give explicit consent for license reclamation each class. This saves money in case you don ’ t need the military service but have forgotten to opt-out .
Best for Mac Users
Trint is desirable for Mac users or flush Windows users who don ’ metric ton want to go through the hassle of installing arrangement services software. It lets you transcribe television american samoa well as audio files from the consolation of your web browser .
It ’ s an all-in-one audio editing and transcription platform that lets you collaborate with team members using multiple tools. The serve has a fast turnaround time, robust security terms, and low error rates .
Trint uses advanced machine-learning-based algorithm for transcribing audio and television. It supports multiple languages and includes provisions for about all dialects in the english terminology .
apart from turning audio to text within a few minutes, Trint provides options for editing the textbook and adding captions to video files. It besides provides you with the ability to embed these searchable transcripts on your web site .
Here’s a List of the Top Features that Trint Offers:
- Fast audio to text transcription within minutes
- AI-based transcription leads to reduced error rates
- Simple tools for distributing transcripts and contents
- Dedicated app for iPhone allows on-the-go accessibility
- Supports multiple file formats for the transcripts
Trint ’ randomness pricing is distributed across five tiers, and the features you get depends on the plan you choose. Billing is monthly, though I recommend you go with the annual charge bicycle and save 20 % .
1. Starter Plan at $48/month
- Transcribe 84 files per year
- Access to the Trint editor
- Single user access
2. Advanced Plan at $60/month
- Unlimited day-to-day transcriptions
- Access to the Trint editor
- Single user access
3. Pro Plan at $68/month
- Everything in the Advanced Plan
- Ability to create public links
- Collaborative editing features
4. Pro Team Plan at $68/user/month
- Everything in the Pro Plan
- Supports shared workspaces
- Multi-user access (up to ten users)
5. Enterprise Plan at Custom Rates
- Everything in Pro Team Plan
- Dedicated security and reporting features
- Supports more than 11 users
Every plan comes with a fair usage policy, and there are no hidden costs or extra charges. You can tied choose to pause your plan should the motivation rise. however, for large-volume arrangement, you ’ ll indigence to contact the company for custom quotes .
Best for Collaborative Audio/Video Editing
Descript brings a elementary document editor program feeling to creating audio/video transcriptions. The tool combines a transcriber, screen registrar, and editor program in the same software. It besides includes AI-powered publish tools that make audio/video editing easy and fun .
Using Descript is simple : you fair drag-and-drop your media file onto the editor program, and the software transcribes the audio into text. The textual transcript is displayed in a simple document editor, where you can change it in any way you please .
Correct mistakes using Overdub, snip out fillers, and add subtitles to your videos…Descript lets you do all that and more. It even has remote recording features and provides consecrated collaborative tools for team players .
Descript is ideal for collaborating on projects that require multiple team members. apart from sieve capture, remote recording, and speech-to-text conversion, the tool provides populate collaboration and cloud-based synchronize .
The following is a list of the essential features of Descript:
- Automatic transcription with almost instant turnaround times
- White-Glove service that provides professional human transcriptionists
- Web-link based project sharing, editing, and commenting features
- World-class data security
- Supports multiple file formats (SRT/VTT/DOC/RTF)
- Live, automatic multitrack transcription
- Create audiograms from podcast highlights
Descript provides users with four pricing plans that provide correspondingly greater features. All plans are billed monthly, but you can save up to 20 % by paying annual. here ’ s a quick look at each of the plans and the consociate benefits .
1. Free Plan at $0/month
- Record and edit one project
- 20 screen recordings at a maximum resolution of 720p
- Up to three hours of transcription
2. Creator Plan at $12/editor/month
- Unlimited number of projects and screen recordings
- Up to ten hours of transcription per month
- Timeline exporting ability
3. Pro Plan at $24/editor/month
- Overdub, filler word elimination, and Audiograms
- Batch file exporting ability
- Up to 30 hours of transcription per month
4. Enterprise Plan at Custom Pricing
- SSO features
- Dedicated accounts rep
- Custom onboarding and training
5. Express Scribe.
Best for Fast Transcription Jobs
In case you need an sound recording recording done extremely fast, I recommend you go with Express Scribe. It ’ s an entirely free creature compatible with audio players and can integrate with phones and computers via USB.
aside from fast transcription, it provides a searchable text editor program that you can use to edit the transcripted text. The software works seamlessly with Microsoft Word and besides supports USB animal foot pedals .
Express Scribe works in both Windows and Mac systems and supports most audio and video file formats. Whether you choose to use the keyboard hotkeys or a dedicated foot bicycle, this software promises and delivers speedy transcripts .
The following is a list of the essential features that Express Scribe offers:
- Variable playback speeds
- Automatic file management
- Multi-channel control
- Supports encrypted dictation files
- Integrates with both analog and digital voice recorders
- Automatic file reception and loading via FTP or email
Express Scribe has a free adaptation that you can download from the official locate. It offers most of the command features but with limited file format patronize. For working with proprietorship file formats, you can purchase the Pro versions of the tool .
Pro version of Express Scribe is available in the following two variants:
- Express Scribe Professional at $70 ($49.99 after discount)
- Express Scribe Basic at $60 ($39.95 after discount)
You can besides choose to bundle other software with the primary tool, such as Express Dictate and Express Invoice. requital for the creature can be made using most cards or via PayPal .
Best for Ease of Use
Inqscribe is one of the newer entrants into the transcription software commercialize and is highly easy to use. The software ’ s alone sell point is its straightforward interface that makes the instrument easy to operate evening for first-timers .
Inqscribe provides you with a detail guide that explains how to use it. You ’ re besides guided with simple on-screen instructions that are easy to follow. aside from the above, it includes a glossary of standard transcription terms so that novices can get acquaint promptly .
The software is cross-platform, although the Mac interpretation is distillery in the stages of Beta testing. It works with the most popular audio and video formats. You can use it to add customize timecodes, type simple notes, and export subtitles .
Despite being elementary to use, Inqscribe doesn ’ thymine scant on the features. The intuitive interface lets you play audio/video and type out transcripts in the lapp window. The editor works like a son processor and lets you tuck custom snippets with a single stroke .
Here’s a list of the most significant features of the tool:
- Compatible with QuickTime and Windows Media Player
- Can play audio/video from tertiary storage
- Pitch lock feature to prevent voice distortion
- Mouse-free, keyboard-based controls
- Compatible with USB foot pedals
- Easy transcript sharing
- Works with multiple export formats
- Fully Unicode compliant
- Supports multiple languages
Downloading Inqscribe is free, and you can use the software without purchasing any license. however, here you ’ five hundred be limited in the act of features available. For the complete Inqscribe experience, choose for an individual license at $ 99 .
In case you ’ ra buying in bulk ( 5 or more licenses ), you get attractive discounts. academician institutions, non-profit organizations, and students can besides get extra rates .
Best for Real-time Transcription
Otter is an on-line tool that lets you record sound recording in real-time and transcribe it on-the-go. It ’ s compatible with the io and Android operating systems, which means you can use this manner of speaking recognition software to transcribe on mobile devices .
The instrument provides users with multiple options for editing transcripts and sharing them. It even has speaker recognition features. however, a significant drawback is that you can transcribe merely up to 600 minutes of audio per calendar month with the free version .
If you opt for the creature ’ sulfur premium adaptation, you can work with prerecorded audio and television files. The software uses Ambient Voice Intelligence technology, which lets it get better with repeated use .
One of the significant features of Otter is its comfort of collaboration. aside from AI-based voice recognition, the software can interface with distant working tools such as Zoom for collaborative arrangement .
Here’s a list of the other notable features that Otter offers:
- Real-time audio recording and transcription
- Searchable transcripts
- AI-based adaptability
- Suitable for businesses as well as individuals
- Dictation features for academic use
Otter ’ second pricing is again distributed across three tiers : Basic, Pro, and Business. The basic plan is desirable for official meetings with limitations. The Pro and Business plans give entree to premium features in addition to the basic capabilities .
1. Free Plan at $0
- Variable speed recording and playback
- Collaboration features
- Up to 600 minutes per month
2. Pro Plan at $8.33/month
- Advanced import and export features
- Custom vocabulary
- Up to 6000 minutes per month
3. Business Plan at $20/user/month
- Otter Live notes and captions for Zoom
- Centralized billing
- Up to 6000 minutes per user
Plans can be billed annual or monthly, with up to 36 % savings on annual charge .
Best for Podcasters
Sonix is a highly accurate automatic recording serve that ’ south desirable for podcasters, and anyone looking to transcribe sound recording efficaciously. The serve is used by over a million users cosmopolitan and delivers accurate transcriptions in more than 40 languages .
The instrument works entirely on-line : merely upload an audio/video file to the service, and it ’ ll return the recording within five minutes or less. Its in-browser editor allows you to edit transcripts precisely like a word document .
When using Sonix, you don ’ t have to worry about punctuations and loudspeaker separation, as it takes concern of everything mechanically. You can even perform a qualitative analysis of transcripts, which very few recording tools provide .
Although Sonix is full suited for podcasters looking to create highly accurate transcripts, it can transcribe any audio or video recording file. Through the Sonix media player, you can share videos and transcripts with automatize subtitles for driving greater social traffic .
Apart from the above, the following features of Sonix are also of note:
- Extremely fast and accurate
- Affordable pricing plans
- Supports multiple languages
- Browser-based transcript editor
- Word-wise timestamps
- Supports multiple text formats (DOC/TXT/PDF)
- Allows multitrack uploads
- Custom dictionaries
- Automated translation
Sonix ’ s pricing plans are simpleton and square : it offers three tiers : Standard, Premium, and Enterprise. Each design comes with boost features and is desirable for different types of users .
Here’s a breakup of the different pricing options for Sonix:
- Standard (pay-as-you-go) plan at $10/hour
- Premium plan at $5/hour + $22/user/month
- Enterprise plan with custom pricing for high volume transcription
What is Transcription Software?
recording software refers to tools that can allow users to convert audio tracks into digital text. There are a large issue of automatic pistol transcription tools on the market, with varying levels of accuracy .
Some arrangement services include human transcriptionists in the serve for increasing the accuracy of the transcripted text. however, selecting the best transcription service is not a function of accuracy alone, as I explain in the next section .
How Do You Select the Best Speech to Text Software?
As I ’ ve already mentioned, selecting the best arrangement software depends on a variety of factors. In the succeed section, I ’ ll touch upon each of these in brief .
This is the foremost and foremost view to consider when choosing transcription software. normally, most AI-based automatic recording tools can reach accuracy levels of up to 90 % accuracy, while human transcribers have about 99 % accuracy rates .
When selecting recording software, I recommend using the free trial to test the accuracy of the tool. Are the transcriptions it produces dislodge of grammatical errors ? Are there any lapses in the punctuations ? These are some of the aspects you need to take into consideration .
After accuracy, the features available play the most decisive character. Features such as subtitle, in-browser editing, and customs timestamp insertions are some of the important ones .
In case you ’ re a business looking for a transcription tool that helps create market videos with subtitles, make certain your creature of choice has collaboration features. such features can help in streamlining workflows and increasing efficiency .
3. Turnaround Times
turnaround prison term refers to the meter that it takes for a transcription serve to return the completed transcripts. automatic transcription software is quick, with turnaround times of a few minutes. however, you might have to sacrifice accuracy .
If approach 100 % accuracy is what you need, opt for human-in-the-loop ( HITL ) transcription services. These can frequently have turnaround times of a workweek or more, so you ’ ll have to consider a tradeoff between accuracy and time delivered .
4. Pricing Plans
Budget is always a consideration when opting for any overhaul, and recording software is no different. As you ’ ve already seen, most services come with a multi-tiered pricing structure that ’ south differentiated based on the features you need .
While large businesses can opt for custom-made plans, small players and individual subject creators can opt for pay-as-you-go payments. Most transcription software comes with dislodge versions or trials that you can use to test the waters .
5. Background Noise Cleanup
not every audio or video file that you need transcribing will have well-defined audio. There may be background noise, static or other disturbances such as fillers and accents. Your transcription software should be able to clean all this up and deliver clear transcripts .
Some software provides multilingual support and works with all available file formats. The claim choice should be driven by your requirements and the kind of audio you work with .
6. Ease of Use
relief of use is the one factor that you can ’ thyroxine compromise on when selecting a recording avail. A bare and intuitive drug user interface means that you ’ ll be able to focus on your subject without having to worry about navigating the software .
7. Privacy Policies
If you ’ re using an on-line arrangement service for transcribing sensible audio such as meetings/discussions, then always take caution to check out the service ’ s privacy policies. For medium data, you can besides ask for a non-disclosure agreement .
The promotion of AI and machine determine has boosted the recording software industry. Experts expect the sector to expand at a 6.1 % CAGR from 2020 to 2027 .
If you’re on the search for the best transcription software, then here are the top picks to choose from:
- Transcribe: Best for Professional Transcriptionists
- Trint: Best for Mac Users
- Descript: Best for collaborative audio/video editing
- Express Scribe: Best for Fast Transcription Jobs
- Inqscribe: Best for Ease of Use
- Otter: Best for real-time Transcription
- Sonix: Best for podcasters
Whatever your arrangement needs, I ’ thousand sure you ’ ll find a good option from the list above.
Further reading on AdamEnfroy.com: AI is not equitable limited to transcriptions .
many businesses are using AI chatbots to help with customer support. This ensures that clients get the answers they ’ ra looking for angstrom soon as potential .
Check out this mail about the best three-toed sloth chatbots in the grocery store right immediately if you want to learn more about this topic .